Insights into have the best experience while getting your car serviced
If you’re uninitiated in the world of cars and mechanics, then it may be a daunting experience to have to trust someone to fix your car without taking advantage of your lack of knowledge. For many people, this can lead to a lot of time spent shopping around different service centers until they find someone that they feel like they can trust. However, it may be a much better use of your time to simply learn how to deal with a car mechanic, no matter who it is you choose. So, we here at Garden City Tyre and Mechanical have broken down our five dos and don’ts when dealing with a car mechanic.
- Arrive on time for your appointment. If you’re late for your agreed time, you’ll not only delay the mechanic but will also end up delaying your own car being fixed, as they will shift their priorities to accommodate the lost time.
- Understand why you’re bringing the car in. While you don’t need to know all of the technical terms for what your fault is, it’s still worth being aware of why you brought the car in so that you can relay that information to the mechanic and help them find the fault faster.
- Tidy your car. It’s helpful to make the mechanic’s job as easy as possible. Ensuring your car is clean and accessible for them ahead of time is one way to do this.
- Be ready to pick up your car. If you’re leaving the lot whilst your car is being repaired, our sales and reception team members will usually phone you once your car is ready to be picked up. Be ready for this call and be ready to arrive ASAP so you don’t hold anyone up.
- Check your car over once the job is done. Make sure that everything feels and looks correct when you set off from our workshop. If you find any problems, reporting them back to us sooner rather than later could save a lot of time.
- Do your own research. It’s important to know what to expect when you take your car in to a mechanic. So, read the reviews on the garage you choose. Make sure you get a quote before agreeing to a time and date. Doing so will ensure that you get the best deal and experience with your car repair.
- Please ask questions. If there’s something on your bill once the job is done that you don’t understand, ask your mechanic about it. Knowing what was done with your car will help you in the future if another problem arises.
Here is what not to do
- Don’t expect major repairs to be included in a regular service price. If we discover a major repair is needed for your vehicle to be safe and roadworthy, we will always ask and explain what issues we have identified before any major repairs are undertaken. So, be prepared to get what you pay for when you take your car in. However, bringing your vehicle in to Garden City Tyre and Mechanical you will hopefully be positively surprised by some of the extra value and bonuses we have on offer from time to time.
- Please, refrain from hovering over your car while the mechanic is doing the work. As is the case in any line of work, there’s nothing worse than having someone hover over your shoulder whilst you’re trying to do your job. So, leave the mechanic to do their thing and come back once it’s done.
- Turn up without doing your research. It’s important to know what to expect when you take your car in to a mechanic. So, read the reviews on the garage you choose. Make sure you get a quote before agreeing to a time and date. Doing so will ensure that you get the best deal and experience with your car repair.
- Be afraid to ask questions. If there’s something on your bill once the job is done that you don’t understand, ask your mechanic about it. Knowing what was done with your car will help you in the future if another problem arises.
- Assume your mechanic is trying to rip you off? Many people assume that their car mechanic is only in their field to try and scam money off customers. This isn’t true, and assuming that it is will only create a hostile environment. The mechanic is there to help you and your car, so don’t assume the worse of them.